Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Civil War Project Reflection

The Civil War is such a large topic, that it was hard to make a condensed project about it. I remember at the beginning of this project my group's main concern was Abraham Lincoln's view on slavery, but soon the focus turned to the causes, course, consequences, reconstruction and the effects on the American people. After the prezi was complete my group went through many ways to present the project. The best part about this project was filming the commercial for the project about the Civil War Superhero.

When we made our essential question it was all about the Abraham Lincoln. After my group and I started the outline of the project we realized that we had to incorporate the other aspects of the Civil War to fully meet the standard that we were working on. At this time we realized that our project was going to be much more extensive than it originally was. Most of the time that we put into the prezi was about the causes, course, consequences, reconstruction and the effects on the American people. We conducted a lot of research about Abraham Lincoln's opinion about slavery but the content about it in the prezi was very little compared to the other information. There was so much information in this project that to present everything would have taken about 20 to 25 minutes.

After talking with Randy and Amy about how to present the project we knew that we did not want to just stand in front of the school bore them with tons of information about the Civil War. So Alex, Leah and I decided we would make a video using Jing and Camtasia. After recording ourselves and making the the video we decided that the video was too long, so we had to come up with another idea. Alex, Leah and I started to plan again on how we are going to present when we came up with the idea to do a commercial for our project. The commercial was what we used to present our project.

The commercial was so much fun! My group and I came up with the idea of a desstressed kid who is saved by the Civil War Superhero. The commercial was to get people to go watch our video on the Civil War. This was a much more effective way to present our project without actually presenting our entire project.

This project was very interesting and I feel like I will never been done with learning about the Civil War. But the most significant things that I remembered about this project were that the projects focus changed over time, how many times my group and I changed how to present our project, and the commercial. I feel like I have learned so much more about the Civil War then just what would be in a text book. Each of the things that I remembered about the project are because of the unique way that I learned about the Civil War.

2 comments:

  1. Mira, your writing is super. I can tell that you put very serious thought into what you write and it is neat to see what parts of the project make the biggest impact for you. I'm looking forward to other great pieces of work from you this year. Keep it up. - Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mira,

    I agree that the commercial was really fun. It turned out to be a surprisingly effective way to present-Bravo!

    What I like when I read this reflective blog is that you "get it." What I mean by this is that you "get" that learning never ends and that where you start a project is often only the first step in the journey.

    Great post!
    Amy

    P.S. You should add a link to the commercial to this post.

    ReplyDelete